Paragraph blogging: Demand High

This is a paragraph blogging type of post, inspired by Anna Loseva and Kate Makaryeva, who came up with this fantastic idea at the time when I thought my blogging needed a tweak. This challenge is perfect for me because 1) I'm "sick of mulling over my Seriously Great Idea in an attempt to shape it coherently and beautifully into a decent (read: perfect) 1K+ words blog post" and because 2) I suspect my "Seriously Great Idea will not significantly lose in its greatness if I manage to tell it in one paragraph". :-) Well, I wonder whether my idea is great enough to be published as a blog post but anyway ....  

Demand High: The idea of engaging your students' full learning potential, proposed by Jim Scrivener and Adrian Underhill, got into circulation back in 2012, and it soon became an object of profound criticism. When I heard the term for the first time, it immediately struck a chord with me. Since then I've never felt the need to scrutinize the theory or the motivation of its proponents; I've always considered it pure inspiration which perfectly fits into my existing schemata; it is consistent with the way I see (or want to see) the world of education. I often think of the endless hours kids are forced to spend at school glued to their desks, and I too wonder whether all the time is used effectively. I have my doubts because I can clearly visualize the moments of me killing the precious classroom time with meaningless games and fun activities just because back then my teacher self thought it was the right thing to do. Had I allowed my students to go out and play in the park, I wouldn't have done them a disservice. I'm convinced that Demand High speaks to lots of teachers out there, and I strongly believe we are obliged to ask ourselves the kind of questions Jim Scrivener and Adrian Underhill proposed. Even if the answers are hard to find, the questions themselves are invaluable tools for every teacher's professional development. When I think about it now, I actually see Demand High as a kind of reflective practice rather than an approach to teaching.

Oops, it seems that a paragraph can become pretty lengthy. I’d like to apologize for failing to stick to the challenge, but I swear I tried hard. :-)